The term 'smart home' has been around since the early 2000s and describes a home that has been equipped with computer and sensor technology that is all linked together and networked with the outside world. The idea of having a central radio-frequency remote control system for an entire house was developed as part of an architectural competition as far back as 2001. Other terms for this type of concept include intelligent living, eHome and smart living.
Nowadays, all kinds of entertainment, multimedia and household devices can be linked up together as part of a "smart" network. This not only means you can operate them from far away, but also monitor them from a great distance, too. Someone who fully adopts smart home technology might link their weather stations, their blinds, their lighting and shading systems, their heating and air conditioning units, and all their windows, doors, and gates together to achieve maximum levels of security, energy savings and a pleasant indoor climate.
The number of smart home systems has been increasing for several years now, thanks in large part to the widespread use of smartphones and developments in modern wireless technology. These developments allow smart devices to be operated and monitored centrally as part of a home's building services system. Indeed, you can control almost anything with a smart home, including lights and roller shutters themselves.
They save time, reduce your energy consumption and make living more comfortable for young and old alike – wireless smart home systems score high marks with their clever solutions and are more than worth the investment in the long run. Enjoy the following benefits:
- High levels of security
- Lower energy consumption
- The ideal humidity and temperature in every room
- Personalised heating plans: intelligent roller shutter timers learn what you need
- Effective roller shutter break-in protection with smart home security systems (e.g. networked motion detectors, surveillance cameras, fire alarms, contact switches, etc.)
- Healthy lighting (with optional colours)
- Privacy at the touch of a button
- Optimised power control to make sure your roller shutters open and close gently
- Roller shutter motors are deactivated when frost is detected